On the morning of April 7th, 2020, the Central Academy of Fine Arts held a video meeting on the graduation work of the whole academy. President Fan Di'an attended the meeting and made a speech, and Vice President Su Xinping presided over the meeting. Chen Qi, Executive Deputy Dean of the Graduate School, Sun Tao, Director of Academic Affairs Office, Song Xiewei, Chief Planner of Graduation Exhibition and Dean of the Design School, and Meng Hong, Director of Network Information Center, came to the site of Online Teaching Supervision Center. About 80 leaders of different departments including the head of the International Cooperation and Exchange Office attended the meeting.
At the meeting, the online graduation exhibition mode, technical structure, and link channel are introduced by the network technology company. Chen Qi, Executive Deputy Dean of the Graduate School, introduced the specific requirements of the concept of exhibition planning and the submission mode for the art works. Each department conducted a full discussion about the exhibition method and technology, etc. Vice President Su Xinping pointed out that due to the need for epidemic prevention and control, online graduation teaching and graduation exhibition are the top priorities of our teaching work this year, for these are to reflect the teaching achievements made by the Central Academy of Fine Arts, display the performance of students in the Central Academy of Fine Arts, demonstrate the graduates’ academic research and creation, and provide outstanding talents to the society. It is hoped that each school understands this task and makes concerted efforts to take responsibility and control the art level of online graduation exhibition on time with due quality.
President Fan Di'an pointed out in his speech that during this period, on the one hand, the academy has firmly grasped the organization and management of online teaching; on the other hand, the graduation work of the whole academy has been discussed many times. The party committee of the academy has attached great importance to this task, and Secretary Gao Hong also specifically put forward requirements. A special meeting was held today, and a full discussion was made. To do a good job of graduation work in the academy, it is necessary to focus on the following aspects and implement these works in detail:
1. Graduation work and thesis supervision. At present, students’ graduation work and thesis writing are in final critical stage. Although doctoral theses have been submitted for blind review, there is still time for refinement. All schools and departments should clearly know about and coordinate the progress of students' creative works and thesis and refine the work plan. All supervisors should increase the intensity of guidance, care about the progress of students' works and thesis, and seriously guide students to complete their works. In particular, the academic seriousness of graduation works should be strictly followed and plagiarism of graduation work and thesis is prohibited. All schools, departments and supervisors must be very strict in examining the results. Students are expected to be highly conscious, demonstrating good level and special brilliance of the graduation work and thesis in this special period of fighting with the epidemic.
2. Graduation exhibition. This year's academy-wide graduation exhibition is held in the form of network exhibition, which is a special display and also a new challenge. The academy has formed a special work group that has been actively preparing for it. Specifically, the following should be fulfilled: First, students should timely submit their works according to the time and requirements set in the notice. The time for postgraduates to submit their works this year is basically the same as the previous years. Undergraduates would submit their works slightly earlier than the previous years. It is necessary to explain this to the students. This is because the online exhibition needs to be uniformly designed after the materials are fully collected, and the exhibits must be in place at the same time. The second is to strengthen the meticulous study of the effect of online exhibitions. Graduation works are very different in form, and the technology and production of a virtual art museum are limited. At present, the planning team of the graduation exhibition and each school and department are all making discussions with the production company. Each school and department should strengthen the cooperation with the production team and strive to achieve the best results. Third, all graduates, supervisors, schools, and departments should seriously settle the text of the introduction of exhibited works. This part is the explanation of the work written by the students themselves, and it is self-statement for the creative works. It is very important for supervisors to control the content, making it proper for public communication. The academy attaches great importance to the intellectual property protection of graduation works, and shall study and make special measures for it.
3. Thesis defense. Using the online defense for the graduation thesis will not reduce the level of defense. Each school and department, the Academic Affairs Office, and the Graduate School ought to make detailed schedules. The composition of the defense panel should be reasonable and scientific. According to this year's situation, professors of the academy should be the main members of the panel. External members of the defense panel should be able to participate on time and possess network ability and condition. The award decision-making for the graduation works should be fair and just.
4. Graduate employment guidance. The Central Committee of the Party attaches great importance to the employment and entrepreneurship of graduates this year, encouraging graduates to engage in multi-channel employment and entrepreneurship, and particularly encouraging them to take up posts in basic level organizations. The Student Work Department and the Employment and Entrepreneurship Guidance Center should well promote the policies made by the central government, and all schools and departments should pay more attention to the employment and entrepreneurship of graduates. In particular, graduates should be kept informed of the relevant policy requirements.
5. Graduation ceremony. It will be arranged separately in accordance with the relevant regulations of the Ministry of Education and Beijing municipal government.
Finally, President Fan Di'an emphasized that all departments of the academy should care about and support the graduation work, try hard to provide guidance to students, and listen to graduates' feedback about the academy's work arrangements. The academy would adopt all reasonable suggestions, enrich the graduation work plan, and reply doubts and questions. For a graduate of the Central Academy of Fine Arts, graduation is a major event in life. Every student would value the display of his or her graduation work and the standard of the entire graduation process. We need to maintain a smooth channel and timely listen to and gather students’ opinions and suggestions, make joint efforts, and well fulfill the graduation work this year.
Article and photo by Academic Affairs Office
Edited by Song Manqing, Publicity Department
April 8th, 2020